"It's impossible to discourage the real writers; they don't give a damn what you say." Sinclair Lewis

Saturday, November 10, 2012

What I Learned at the Heart of the West Writer's Conference

by Sue Anne Hodge

I learned a writer needs great characters to make the reader follow the book no matter where it takes the reader. There were three workshops about how to make/grow the perfect character. I took a little bit from each class that I can adapt to the way I write.

I learned that trends in publishing are evolving like never before, but in the end superior writing will always win out and gather readers in. The trick is to never give up.

I learned that romance writers need to put the Man in RoMANce to appeal to the hefty
number of male readers, which equals hefty bank accounts if done right. Writers need to make their men real not some fantasy most would like to meet.

But most importantly, I learned that going to a conference with good friends, taking part in discussion groups, and hanging out with creative types gave my muse a terrific shot in the arm and stiffened my resolve to continue my quest to see my books in print.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a blank page to conquer.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like it was a good conference. I agree that much one gets out of going to conferences is a shot in the arm by simply being with other writers and picking up on the excitement of such a creative gathering. Thanks for sharing!

    Linda S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, nothing can beat being with fellow writers to get the muse flowing. It was just what I needed to get me over a dry hump.

    Sherry R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue Anne,
    Thank you for giving me an opportunity to relive the conference. Just going back, by memory, has given my muse a shot in the arm.
    It was a fun conference.

    Maxine

    ReplyDelete